Saturday, June 20, 2009

My best friend

Yesterday I had a great talk with my best friend, Sarah. She has been unwell for sometime and it was really great to catch up as well as speak of deep and meaningful things.

When I say she has been unwell, I mean that she has an Anxiety disorder and recently had.... well, I suppose I could call it a breakdown. So bad, in fact, that she went to be an inpatient at a St John of God facility.

That was the best thing she could have done, she is now out, after about a month in, and has an "exit strategy", she is going to a therapy group and a psychologist. She is so very much healthier than last time she had a breakdown.

Anyway, back to yesterday's meeting. We got to talk for about an hour and a half, which is pretty good for us, about our lives the past week or so, as well as her and my, mental health. She is so caring and lovely, and bought me flowers, which are beautiful.

Sarah and I have known each other for.... since March 1996, which makes it over 13 years. She is a wonderful friend, the kind of friend that I know will be around forever.

"There are few people out there with whom you fit just so, and, amazingly, you keep fitting just so even after you have growth spurts or lose weight or stop wearing high heels. You keep fitting after you have children or change religions or stop dyeing your hair or quit your job at Goldman Sachs and take up farming. Somehow, God is gracious enough to give us a few of those people, people you can stretch into, people who don't go away, and whom you wouldn't want to go away, even if they offered to" - Lauren Winner, Girl Meets God.

No comments:

Post a Comment