Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My favourite books

Yes, I love books, I love reading.

People ask me what my favourite book is, and I honestly cannot answer, I have so many :)

So here are my recommendations for fabulous reading:

Anything by the Bronte sisters, although I must say that The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is my absolute favourite.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice being my favourite of hers.

The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery (but I like all her works, the most famous being Anne of Green Gables). The Blue Castle is the only book that she wrote exclusively for adults, still very sweet and innocent but also mature and a wonderful story to get lost in,

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. I have read this way too many times, I love the intrigue and the colourful characters.

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway, I love Hemingway's writing, and the vibrant way he describes people and places.

A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemmingway, as above, I love his writing, the way he uses only the words he needs to get his meaning across and no more.

Princesses: The Six Daughters of George III by Flora Fraser. This history book is fabulous, it covers some women who are largely overlooked in history, but who were so involved in it.

How We Lived Then by Norman Longmate, a record of how the civilian population i.e. "common man" experienced WWII in Britain.

The Winter of Our Disconnect by Susan Maushart, I have written a book review on this before, it is so topical and relevant and written in the very best style.

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. This book is fabulous, I love how this book shows God's love and is also a really good read.

I think that list, with the Bible and I could live quite happily.

1 comment:

  1. I have not read all of these! I will definitely be reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall now... too many people have recommended it now :)

    ReplyDelete