Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Baby Preparations

Okay, so while I am not the most organised person in the world, I do like being organised.

So one of the first things that I did when I found out that I was pregnant, I made a list of the things that were actual needs for the baby. So I had my nice list and quite nicely, we haven't needed to buy much of it ourselves. My parents, Husband's parents and friends have been generous.

The baby room was ready with about 4 weeks to go.

The last thing that I did need to buy was nappies. I didn't want to buy them too early, or too late.

But I did spend a lot of time researching. There are many choices, the traditional terry squares, Modern Cloth Nappies (MCNs) or disposables.

I didn't want to go the entire disposable route. For many reasons:
*Cost (about AU$179.94 a month)
*Environmental reasons
as well as others, but those are the two main reasons.

So, I am going the MCN route. Modern cloth nappies are fitted like disposables, but you wash them and reuse them like terry cloth nappies.
Yes, I know that there environmental concerns with the washing (it uses a lot of water etc) but I am confident that it is the best way to go.

I forked out about $400 for the modern cloth nappies, which is about the cost of 2 months worth of disposables. I did, however, buy one pack of disposables. I am not against the use of disposables like some advocates of cloth nappies.

No comments:

Post a Comment