Thursday, December 9, 2010

Eat Pray Love

Today my friend, Rona and I went to see Eat Pray Love.

I did enjoy the movie, it was very eastern philosophy, but I had assumed that seeing that the main character was going to spent time in India. And it was a happily ever after movie, which I enjoy.

Rona did get bored by the end, if it was a 2 instead of a 2.5 hour movie, she would have been fine.

I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of gratuitous sex scenes which seem to be obligatory for all movies in these "modern" times. Yes, there was a shot of a bare bottom, but the rest was hinted at, not explicitly shown.

I also like the idea that we don't have to be tied to the modern western life ethic - Work, Work, Work, Buy, Buy, Buy. And that we don't have to be completed by a husband/boyfriend, you can be whole by yourself, but it is good to be part of a couple if you want to.

I try to live my life differently to those around me, not to the point of moving overseas for a year, but by smaller degrees, but in more radical ways.

By radical, I mean that I strive to live according to God's will, not my own. Instead of "getting in touch with myself" or "Having god in me, as me", I have the Holy Spirit to guide me. True, I sometimes have a hard time listening, but I know if I do listen, my life will be so much better for it. And the best thing about having the Holy Spirit - you don't need to go to India or even to the next town to get guidance.

I will use this movie as a reminder that if I listen, He will answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment